Tuesday, July 8, 2008

lois and clark

Today T. and I got into the office at 1pm and besides a few editors and one other intern, no one was in yet. I have gotten used to this; people usually stroll in around 2 or 3, at times later. If I want to start my day early, I shoot to be in the office around noon, but unless there is a story to cover, coming in early won't do any of the interns much good, which is why we spend our time reading the news. I think if DS hadn't blocked facebook, that would be the second pass-time. But working in an office has its upsides too, especially this one. I am learning how to be in a foreign country, live in a busy city, find my way to sources in foreign neighborhoods, nag editors for stories to write, come up with ideas about a place I am just beginning to know, while learning how to write like a reporter all at the same time. Challenging, yes. Experience, brilliant, even though it may not feel like it at times. I think the other interns feel the same way as well.

Other tidbits:
Lebanon is ranked #2 in the list of countries that smoke the most. I can attest to this - people smoke everywhere, all the time, and there are no rules for no smoking inside buildings. So I am probably inhaling more nicotine than I would if I was smoking myself in the U.S. Apparently a pack of cigarettes (even Marlboro) only cost 2000 pounds (1500 pounds = $1). This is fascinating to me. In any case, one of my taxi drivers, in the span of a 20 minute car ride, smoked 4 cigarettes. And one of my favorite sights yesterday was seeing a middle-aged hijabi woman smoking a cigarette while sitting outside a cafe. That made my day.

Apparently Lebanon also has the highest number of people taking anti-depressants =/

Coca-cola's international market is interesting because they encourage their products to be made, marketed and sold locally. And some countries cannot afford the sugar that the U.S. uses. And that is why coke tastes different in Lebanon (I like it better here).

No comments: